Instructions for On-Line Renewal Applications
DO NOT SUBMIT A RENEWAL APPLICATION UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE RECEIVED A “RENEWAL PROCESSING” LETTER IN THE MAIL.
THIS LETTER INCLUDES:
A PIN NUMBER,
A LIST OF REQUIRED DOCUMENTS/FORMS, and
A PAYMENT AUTHORIZATION FORM.
After you have received the “Renewal Processing” letter, follow the below instructions to “register” and to submit an on-line renewal application.
Prior to submitting an on-line renewal application, you must first register.
How to Register
- Click on “Register.”
- Click on “Redeem Invitation.”
- Enter your “Invitation Code.” Your Invitation Code consists of your social security number followed by your assigned PIN number. (For example, for social security number 123-45-6789 and PIN number 234567, the Invitation Code would be “123-45-6789234567”). After entering your Invitation Code, click on “Redeem.” You will receive your assigned PIN number by mail.
- Enter your e-mail address and create a password.
- After clicking “Submit,” you will receive an e-mail. To complete the registration process, you must confirm receipt of this e-mail by clicking on “Complete Registration.”
NOW YOU ARE READY TO START YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION.
How to Complete and Submit On-Line Application
- Click on “Start New >”
- Answer “Yes” to “Are you renewing an existing license/permit?;” then, click on the Search icon.
- Enter your license/permit number in the Search field. Click on the Search icon next to the Search field. After the matching license/permit number appears on the screen, click on “Select” to start the renewal application process.
- To access forms, click on the drop-down menu next to your name in the upper-right-hand corner of the screen.
- Before submitting your on-line renewal application, you will need to upload the required documents/forms, which are listed on an attachment to the Renewal Processing Letter (entitled List of Required Documents/Forms). For some required documents/forms, there are designated fields. Documents/forms for which there is no designated field must be uploaded to the “Affidavit of Co-habitant (and any other additional documents)” field.
With regard to question numbers 1 through 15 (starting at Step 8), you should only answer “Yes” if the incident (e.g. arrests, domestic incidents, orders of protection, etc.) occurred after your most recent renewal (or after your initial application, if this is your first renewal).
After submitting your on-line renewal application, you must mail the appropriate renewal fee to the address listed on the “Payment Authorization” form. The License Division will not review your submitted renewal application until your renewal fee has been received.
The handgun renewal application fee is $340.00. The Rifle/Shotgun renewal permit fee is $140.00. Fees must be paid by credit card, money order, or bank check. Payments are to be made payable to the “New York City Police Department.” Personal checks or cash are not accepted. The Renewal application fee is non-refundable.
Certain retired law enforcement officers who were employed in New York State are not required to pay the handgun license application renewal fee (see below for Fee Waiver list). However, all applicants for a rifle/shotgun permit must pay the renewal fee.
FEE WAIVER LIST
- Qualified Retired “Police officers” from NYS Law enforcement agencies as defined in criminal procedural law 1.20(34).
- Qualified Retired NYS TBTA Police Officers, Sergeants and Lieutenants as defined in criminal procedural law 2.10(20).
- Qualified Retired NYS Correction Officers as defined in criminal procedural law 2.10(25).
- Qualified Retired Sheriffs, undersheriffs, or deputy sheriffs of the City of New York as defined in criminal procedural law 2.10(2).
- Qualified Retired NYS Uniformed Court Officers in the Unified Court System as defined in criminal procedural law 2.10(21a).
- Qualified Retired NYS Court Clerks in the unified court system in the first and second judicial departments as defined in criminal procedural law 2.10(21b).
After receiving your renewal fee, License Division will review your renewal application, including documents that you have uploaded. License Division may also request any additional documents/forms needed to process your application. As soon as a decision is made regarding your renewal application, you will be notified. (If you are a retired law enforcement officer on the above Fee Waiver list, License Division will review your renewal application after your application is complete, including all required documents).
Working with Handgun License Consulting Firms
Consulting companies are not required to be used to apply for New York City handgun licenses or rifle/shotgun permits. These firms cannot obtain a handgun license or rifle/shotgun permit for you if you do not qualify, nor can they expedite your application. As an applicant, you should be aware that such services are not required or endorsed by the New York City Police Department and that only an attorney licensed by the State of New York can represent you before the License Division. You should also understand that any fees you pay to a consulting firm are in addition to those required by law and collected by the License Division. Neither the License Division nor consulting companies can guarantee the issuance of a handgun license or rifle/shotgun permit to any person. Each application is reviewed on its merits and under the qualifying criteria set forth by law.